Jason Pamental — Variable Fonts & The Future of Web Typography
Episode 135 • Published Oct 23, 2017
Jason Pamental is the author of Responsive Typography from O’Reilly Media. He recently won one of the Best Of awards for his web typography talk at the annual CSS Dev Conference 2017.
- 1:29 How was your CSS Dev Conf 2017 experience?
- 6:20 Is there a sequel to Responsive Typography coming?
- 7:30 Congrats on winning best of at CSS Dev Conf 2017
- 9:00 Can you explain what variable fonts are?
- 13:30 How do the savings come about using this technique?
- 17:00 Is variable fonts a separate, new file format?
- 20:20 Is a variable font a designation within WOFF2 or WOFF?
- 22:30 Can I export variable font from an existing font?
- 31:00 Building on the work of Rachel Andrew and Jen Simmons
- 37:20 What’s browser support like for variable fonts?
- 41:50 Is @supports the key?
- 43:15 Anything else you’re excited about with variable fonts?
- 45:30 How can people get in touch with you if they have questions about variable fonts?