Nathan Curtis — Deep Foundations of Design Systems
Episode 130 • Published Aug 30, 2017
Nathan Curtis co-founded EightShapes in 2006 and is passionate about interaction design, information architecture, and front-end development. He specializes in design systems consulting for teams large and small, regularly writing about and speaking at events worldwide. Co-hosting this week is Micah Godbolt, Senior Design Developer at Microsoft.
Feed and MP3 files are proudly hosted by Feed.Press
- 2:44 An introduction to Nathan’s background on the web.
- 3:50 Design systems are just catching.
- 4:50 What kind of deliverables would you give to clients back in the 2000’s?
- 7:20 What’s the next step in design systems?
- 9:40 It seems like we’re going to start quantifying everything we do inside a design system.
- 10:30 Automation helping generate code from design systems.
- 14:40 In the future we won’t have design system, we’ll have a system of systems.
- 19:30 Sharing design systems across large organizations with common components vs niche apps or websites.
- 21:30 Designers don’t have as much experience working collaboratively in a community environment.
- 25:00 Designers tend to be silod - what has been your experience?
- 29:50 In professional settings, designers with seasoning struggle when they aren’t made aware of the design systems.
- 31:34 Designers are looking to do the right thing.
- 33:00 Defending the designers.
- 36:10 Who’s actually controlling the knobs and dials?
- 38:30 It works but have you tested it on users yet?
- 45:50 Adding a research tab to the design system that’s available to everyone.
- 47:20 Sometimes you have to realize one team might have a completely different user base.
- 50:00 What goes into a system or not?
- 53:20 What are your tips for people who want to get a design system going?
- 56:40 How can people find you on the internet and get in design system conversations?