Dan Mall — What is Your Hourly Rate?
Episode 122 • Published Jun 21, 2017
Dan Mall returns! Dan is the director of SuperFriendly, a design collaborative, and author of a new book about the approaches professionals can take to valuing their project rates called Pricing Design, which published by A Book Apart.
Jump to a conversation on…
- 1:40 What’s Dan been up to since last we talked?
- 2:50 What’s Superbooked?
- 6:50 Freelancers struggle with pricing - how can we make it easier?
- 11:50 One trick Dan’s found is…
- 13:55 Once you’re comfortable, don’t ask about budget.
- 18:10 Try talking your client out of hiring you.
- 22:00 If you’re just starting out, use hourly. As you get comfortable graduate into value pricing.
- 24:20 What is cost plus pricing?
- 28:00 Profit comes from risk.
- 30:00 Salary negotiation is hard just like estimating a project.
- 31:30 Imposter syndrome kicks in even after success.
- 33:40 Using your friends as a sounding board.
- 37:50 When a proposal morphs into discovery phase - what do you do?
- 42:15 Design is a job.
- 43:50 How can folks find Dan Mall on the web?