Nicole Hallberg and Martin Schneider — Sexism in the Tech Industry
Episode 118 • Published May 08, 2017
Nicole Hallberg and Martin Schneider swapped email address for a couple of weeks. Guess what happened? Join Nicole and Martin as they to talk about their experiences in dealing with and recognizing sexism in the tech workplace and suggestions for what can be done to improve the place of work.
Feed and MP3 files are proudly hosted by Feed.Press
Jump to a conversation on…
- 2:01 Introductions
- 7:50 The story behind Nicole and Martin’s experiences
- 14:30 Can you give an example of terminology you had to explain again and prove your expertise in?
- 18:00 What was the biggest takeaway from this experience?
- 19:20 Why couldn’t he just believe the women without having to experience it?
- 20:40 Was it data driven or was it just anecdotal stories?
- 22:50 What’s the drawback to admitting there’s sexism in the workplace?
- 28:24 What happened when you talked to your supervisor?
- 31:30 What if your boss had tried a different approach?
- 36:10 Adults, particularly men, don’t like being told that they’re doing something wrong.
- 41:58 All anger is borne of sadness.
- 43:00 Nicole’s story of standing up at a conference.
- 47:25 Don’t come into feminist spaces and expect everyone to change for you.
- 48:20 The other story is what happens after we told our story.
- 48:55 It’s not like the internet wrote me a check.
- 51:01 Codes of conduct at conferences.
- 1:00:05 Why hasn’t anyone done this before? It’s such a simple test.
- 1:02:35 What’s your podcast and upcoming appearances?
- 1:03:35 What’s it like to be internet famous?
- 1:07:02 What’s the simplest steps to take to make it easier for everyone in the workplace?