Val Head — Designing Interface Animation
Episode 113 • Published Apr 10, 2017
Val Head is a web animation expert and author with a talent for getting designers and developers alike excited about the power of animation. She’s the author of Designing Interface Animation and teaches CSS Animation on lynda.com.
Jump to a conversation on…
- 2:30 Writing the preface is the worst.
- 4:03 Benefits of brain animation including transitions
- 6:07 Animation helping with perceived performance makes things seem like things are happening faster
- 8:01 Facebook content loading examples of perceived performance and perceived speed
- 9:00 Benefits of reducing content load, make it obvious what has changed on the screen
- 10:50 Bad form designs that take up too much of the page
- 12:30 Explanation of UI choreography - managing multiple animations and commonality of animations
- 16:09 Blocking animation is bad, it stops you from doing things while it’s animated.
- 17:40 Don’t hide layers people need to interact with.
- 20:30 Some examples of good animation that elevates the design, including brand identity.
- 23:31 Some examples of sites that are really good at freeze animation.
- 26:10 PayPal redesign compared to Stripe
- 28:00 How you go about thinking about instilling animation into your brand, app or website.
- 33:00 Recommendations on how to convince higher ups to integrate animation.
- 38:30 Where does someone start working more with animation? CSS?
- 40:02 Green Sock versus CSS.
- 41:02 Books or websites that would help you learn more about CSS.
- 42:40 What Java Script does that CSS can’t.
- 45:10 What’s covered in the workshops with Sarah Drasner.
- 46:50 How to connect or find more information about Val Head.