Val Head — Designing Interface Animation
Episode 113 • Published Apr 10, 2017
Val Head is a web animation expert and author with a talent for getting designers and developers alike excited about the power of animation. She’s the author of Designing Interface Animation and teaches CSS Animation on lynda.com.
Feed and MP3 files are proudly hosted by Feed.Press
Jump to a conversation on…
- 2:30 Writing the preface is the worst.
- 4:03 Benefits of brain animation including transitions
- 6:07 Animation helping with perceived performance makes things seem like things are happening faster
- 8:01 Facebook content loading examples of perceived performance and perceived speed
- 9:00 Benefits of reducing content load, make it obvious what has changed on the screen
- 10:50 Bad form designs that take up too much of the page
- 12:30 Explanation of UI choreography - managing multiple animations and commonality of animations
- 16:09 Blocking animation is bad, it stops you from doing things while it’s animated.
- 17:40 Don’t hide layers people need to interact with.
- 20:30 Some examples of good animation that elevates the design, including brand identity.
- 23:31 Some examples of sites that are really good at freeze animation.
- 26:10 PayPal redesign compared to Stripe
- 28:00 How you go about thinking about instilling animation into your brand, app or website.
- 33:00 Recommendations on how to convince higher ups to integrate animation.
- 38:30 Where does someone start working more with animation? CSS?
- 40:02 Green Sock versus CSS.
- 41:02 Books or websites that would help you learn more about CSS.
- 42:40 What Java Script does that CSS can’t.
- 45:10 What’s covered in the workshops with Sarah Drasner.
- 46:50 How to connect or find more information about Val Head.