Dudley Storey — Using SVG
Episode 106 • Published Feb 13, 2017
Dudley Storey is a Smashing Magazine contributing editor, teacher and speaker, his new book Using SVG with CSS3 and HTML5 is scheduled to be released later this Spring.
Jump to a conversation on…
- 3:05 The program that Dudley currently teaches about media
- 5:15 Learning about CD-ROMs in college.
- 6:35 HTML tables vs CSS layout in the old days
- 7:15 Dudley’s beef with hacker schools or code schools
- 9:05 It’s like you’re looking through the wrong end of the telescope
- 10:15 The host would like to see a certification course of semantic HTML and why
- 12:03 Dudley is still working for Smashing Magazine and is now also a technical editor.
- 13:55 What’s it like to be an editor for Smashing magazine?
- 15:10 You can put whatever you want on your blog.
- 16:03 Blogging versus magazine submission versus tweeting; when to use each
- 18:55 All of Christopher’s photos are on Flicker, but Flicker is becoming outdated. What to do next with the content.
- 20:01 Dudley built thenewcode.com as an accurate, consistent database on CSS Scripts and functions that is not out there yet.
- 21:50 Eventually Facebook will go away. People will lose a big portion of their lives when it goes away
- 24:30 When content is no longer accurate, Dudley goes back his website to update the data and an example of it
- 25:42 Technology going through growing pains.
- 27:50 Twitter for example has a lot of big community problems because sites simply want a lot of users then react to the problems after
- 29:59 Twitter has a social engineering problem.
- 31:02 A little bit about the book “Using SVG with CSS3 and HTML5”
- 32:50 Description of SVG2 and how it relates to SVG
- 33:30 Strokes in SVG and SVG2
- 34:30 SVG is not an image format but is a document format
- 35:55 Plugins for everything.
- 36:45 How is book writing for the web and what is the process of it
- 39:10 The lightbulb moment when someone gets it.
- 40:01 The joys of helping people who understand things because of your book or teaching
- 41:21 Which portions Dudley is writing in the book, including SVG tools, CSS and SVG properties, SVG and interactive activities
- 42:40 SVG Export issues and challenges.
- 46:00 Discussion on the IE issue with width and height
- 47:00 A lot of the SVG presentation attributes are moved to CSS properties
- 49:11 Are standards current in modern browsers?
- 50:09 SVG animations and Green Sock animation library as well as native animation
- 51:20 What type of simple CSS animations could you do before you grab Green Sock?
- 52:30 SVG and data visualization
- 54:40 Preview of the book available right now