Steve Portigal — User Research War Stories
Episode 109 • Published Mar 07, 2017
Steve Portigal is the founder and principal of Portigal Consulting, a boutique firm that brings together user research, design and business strategy. Steve is the author of Interviewing Users: How to Uncover Compelling Insights and Doorbells, Danger, and Dead Batteries: User Research War Stories.
Feed and MP3 files are proudly hosted by Feed.Press
- UX Design Newsletter — A weekly free newsletter containing a collection of tutorials, articles, and videos about frontend design and development, plus tips on how to bring better engagement to the multi-device world curated by Christopher Schmitt.
Jump to a conversation on…
- 2:00 What made you decide to start publishing stories from the field?
- 6:50 How did you determine which stories were the best for the book?
- 10:00 Were the stories best served as a book?
- 15:40 How would you figure out if you need to go do interviews?
- 22:35 What does user research involve?
- 27:00 Interviewing is great for understanding why.
- 28:30 The hard part is trying to explain why humans are humans.
- 32:40 Context is important.
- 34:58 Don’t get drowned in data.
- 38:10 It reminds me of the Nielsen diagram I despise…
- 39:55 Where can folks buy the books?