Dudley Storey — Using SVG
Episode 106 • Published Feb 13, 2017
Dudley Storey is a Smashing Magazine contributing editor, teacher and speaker, his new book Using SVG with CSS3 and HTML5 is scheduled to be released later this Spring.
Feed and MP3 files are proudly hosted by Feed.Press
Jump to a conversation on…
- 3:05 The program that Dudley currently teaches about media
- 5:15 Learning about CD-ROMs in college.
- 6:35 HTML tables vs CSS layout in the old days
- 7:15 Dudley’s beef with hacker schools or code schools
- 9:05 It’s like you’re looking through the wrong end of the telescope
- 10:15 The host would like to see a certification course of semantic HTML and why
- 12:03 Dudley is still working for Smashing Magazine and is now also a technical editor.
- 13:55 What’s it like to be an editor for Smashing magazine?
- 15:10 You can put whatever you want on your blog.
- 16:03 Blogging versus magazine submission versus tweeting; when to use each
- 18:55 All of Christopher’s photos are on Flicker, but Flicker is becoming outdated. What to do next with the content.
- 20:01 Dudley built thenewcode.com as an accurate, consistent database on CSS Scripts and functions that is not out there yet.
- 21:50 Eventually Facebook will go away. People will lose a big portion of their lives when it goes away
- 24:30 When content is no longer accurate, Dudley goes back his website to update the data and an example of it
- 25:42 Technology going through growing pains.
- 27:50 Twitter for example has a lot of big community problems because sites simply want a lot of users then react to the problems after
- 29:59 Twitter has a social engineering problem.
- 31:02 A little bit about the book “Using SVG with CSS3 and HTML5”
- 32:50 Description of SVG2 and how it relates to SVG
- 33:30 Strokes in SVG and SVG2
- 34:30 SVG is not an image format but is a document format
- 35:55 Plugins for everything.
- 36:45 How is book writing for the web and what is the process of it
- 39:10 The lightbulb moment when someone gets it.
- 40:01 The joys of helping people who understand things because of your book or teaching
- 41:21 Which portions Dudley is writing in the book, including SVG tools, CSS and SVG properties, SVG and interactive activities
- 42:40 SVG Export issues and challenges.
- 46:00 Discussion on the IE issue with width and height
- 47:00 A lot of the SVG presentation attributes are moved to CSS properties
- 49:11 Are standards current in modern browsers?
- 50:09 SVG animations and Green Sock animation library as well as native animation
- 51:20 What type of simple CSS animations could you do before you grab Green Sock?
- 52:30 SVG and data visualization
- 54:40 Preview of the book available right now